Discord allow image embeds in #server-chat (or anywhere at this point)

Status
Not open for further replies.

riawo

Masterbuilder
IGN
riawo
Pronouns
any
read title
(if it isn't obvious enough, allow people to post media {images, videos and all that fancy shit} in #server-chat and basically everywhere else)

Reactions: sithvsjedi
I believe the reason we didn't allow this was because someone on the old TF ruined it for everyone and posted gore in the main chat so that's why it's disabled except in one channel

Reactions: Taah
It should be allowed in #deep-discussion imo, not sure if we're ready for any other public channel.

I believe the reason we didn't allow this was because someone on the old TF ruined it for everyone and posted gore in the main chat so that's why it's disabled except in one channel
it was enabled on the old TF discord server (or at the very least in server chat it was)

Even on the original TotalFreedom, media permissions were granted for pretty much everyone everywhere. The way we prevented raiders from spamming gore and other offensive content was by actually preventing them from getting into the Discord server in the first place with a verification system. It was far more effective and didn't restrict people's abilities as much as what we currently have.

Vouch, we should implement a verification system instead.

Even on the original TotalFreedom, media permissions were granted for pretty much everyone everywhere. The way we prevented raiders from spamming gore and other offensive content was by actually preventing them from getting into the Discord server in the first place with a verification system. It was far more effective and didn't restrict people's abilities as much as what we currently have.

It still happened on TF though, no? Verification is useless when you can verify and then post it immediately after getting verified

It still happened on TF though, no? Verification is useless when you can verify and then post it immediately after getting verified
It didn't happen as often as you think, and this is primarily due to the success of the system we had in place along with the effective Discord staff team we had. Players needed to provide a valid account in order to be able to be verified, and in cases of more known players, their identity still had to be verified by having them do something in-game.

Even if they managed to slip through the cracks, the cleanup was almost instantaneous anyways because the Discord staff were usually always able to respond quickly.

Reactions: zrfv and sithvsjedi
Vouch, I don't think its really as big of an issue as people think it is to have this. also hi, even though i've been in the discord since the day it was made I have only just made my return to minecraft and so i only now learned there is a forum here (i also learned what the ip of the server today lmao)

Reactions: zrfv

I agree with Video's standpoint here, and I also vouch for this to be brought back from the old server. It made conversing in chat much easier, and the current system (funneling everyone into #media-and-images) feels less like an actual defense against raiding, and more like (pardon the stupid example) the online equivalent of banning everyone from recess because one kid acted up.

However, if we do implement this idea, I'd also like to bring back the Manage Messages permission for MC server administrators as well. This would potentially make the response times to raids even faster, and wouldn't really affect anything else otherwise. Both don't need to co-exist, I'm not gonna fuss and whine if the permission isn't granted - but it's something to consider.

Reactions: zrfv
Okay so what we CAN do is potentially make it so when a player links a discord account to their minecraft account they get image perms, does this sound good? The reason I originally and intentionally denied image permissions is purely because I didn't want gore and inappropriate pictures and memes sent in chat or chat flooded with images, and I've set media-and-images to age restricted purely because people should be prepared for what totalfreedom members will send, because sometimes it can be a little weird lol. As for deep discussion, I've allowed media.

Reactions: Telesphoreo
Okay so what we CAN do is potentially make it so when a player links a discord account to their minecraft account they get image perms, does this sound good?
Works for me, but will this be handled by a plugin/module?

Okay so what we CAN do is potentially make it so when a player links a discord account to their minecraft account they get image perms, does this sound good? The reason I originally and intentionally denied image permissions is purely because I didn't want gore and inappropriate pictures and memes sent in chat or chat flooded with images, and I've set media-and-images to age restricted purely because people should be prepared for what totalfreedom members will send, because sometimes it can be a little weird lol. As for deep discussion, I've allowed media.
That sounds like a great solution to this problem :)

Reactions: Taah
Approved. We now have an embed role which we give out to users. I've given it to most users on the server already. If anyone wants it, just request it

Reactions: riawo
Status
Not open for further replies.