Server Expanding to other games

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeadSavior

Listen I know total freedom is and always will be a Minecraft focused community that will never change.

But maybe we could get some more activity if we reached out to other games give more a variety to people that isn't just Minecraft if you know what I mean.

Maybe reach into other sandbox games like Garry's Mod, Rust, Project Zomboid, and Unturned are just a few to name.

If this gets considered or it least looked into I've made a playlist showing how to set up said game servers of the games I listed (Including how to set up other gamemode's for Garry's Mod)

This Is just an Idea I had I Just think It would be a good idea to open up to more games expand the variety of content of Total-Freedom.

When I first joined, we had a gmod server. I remember noting how.. literally nobody ever joined it.

The only game that this entire community has in common is Minecraft. That's it. And at the moment we struggle to have a Minecraft playerbase - which should be the main focus of the server. Any time another game or even another Minecraft server has been added, it's died and/or became a mess. A completely different game is a much bigger task to try and gain players.

I personally don't own any of those four games, and heck, gmod is the only one I've heard of. I might be in a minority with that, but personally we have to understand that this is a creative Minecraft server and that's what people come here for and need to come here for - not skyblock, not smp, not other games. Stuff like that should be saved for temporary events or whatever.

this is a creative Minecraft server
But doesn't that become boring and stale after awhile all you do is build and when your done you just quit it becomes repetitive.
It least having a alterative or another server to play on would give people more stuff to do and make people more active with the community and all the games I listed are free to host so It would cost nothing to keep the servers up and give more people stuff to do In TF

It least having a alterative or another server to play on would give people more stuff to do and make people more active with the community
As I said in my post, we've been here before. I don't think I ever saw anybody log into our gmod server while it was up in my time, and that was 3 years ago, when we had twice as many players.

Skyblock, SMP, anarchy etc all failed and those were all accessible from the servers hub when you logged in on Minecraft. Fewer people are going to go out of their way to download, set up, and in some cases buy a brand new game. If the Minecraft server gets 10 players on a good time - there'll maybe be 3 or so on a different game, and that makes the experience almost entirely like single player or co op

If we're focusing on any new servers (which I still see as a bad idea), we should focus on ones that actually involve the only game that everybody on this server definitely owns and is somewhat familiar with.

Reactions: Alco_Rs11
that was 3 years ago
2021 Is behind us now and were not owned by a network anymore were now community based and we should ask what other people think about this and see if they would be interested in a new server or not maybe we should host a poll or just ask people if they would be interested or not it's as simple as asking people If they own Garry's Mod and If they would be interested and If they don't own it I would gladly buy it for others who can't afford It I would give out copies of Garry's mod If people really would be interested.

Why not just focus all of our energy on making a decent Minecraft server instead of trying to be the jack of all games and the master of none?

Reactions: Taah and Alco_Rs11
Why not just focus all of our energy on making a decent Minecraft server instead of trying to be the jack of all games and the master of none?
I could manage the Garry's Mod Server I would just need someone to host it and keep it running as my router can't port forward sadly I would host it if I could trust me

I could manage the Garry's Mod Server I would just need someone to host it and keep it running as my router can't port forward sadly I would host it if I could trust me
As a former manager of the totalfreedom gmod server, let's not. It was a struggle trying to get enough players on totalfreedom as it was, and we didn't have much luck with other gamemodes and other games. It would be cool to have a gmod server I do agree with you, but it wouldn't be worth our time and resources.

As a former manager of the totalfreedom gmod server, let's not. It was a struggle trying to get enough players on totalfreedom as it was, and we didn't have much luck with other gamemodes and other games. It would be cool to have a gmod server I do agree with you, but it wouldn't be worth our time and resources.
Last Idea I have is just having a weekly gmod play session if we can plan ahead and get a good time where people can join someone can just host normally (Who doesn't have a fuck ton of mods) and we just play for like 2-3 hours.

I'm not 100% against this, but it doesn't make sense to have another game/gamemode when the average player count on the main TF server is around 5 or something like that (I don't know the stats). I think we should have our focus be towards making the MC server better and have a decent playerbase on there rather than jumping straight to another game/gamemode. It would be nice to do something like that in the future, but right now it would just be a waste of space on both our end and the hosts' end.

I object. Given our past at attempting to expand to different game modes (SMP, sky block and anarchy from memory), even to a different game (GMOD), it may experience a good player base at the start. Still, they all come to the same conclusion: there is no player retention. With no player retention, the host will lose the passion for running, leading to the shutdown.

This might be somewhat successful if we run a limited-time game mode or as events, which would potentially have enough player base. However, we should focus on the main server, as that's where our player retention is.

Reactions: Telesphoreo
I Object. We tried this in the past and nothing ever came out of it. Every time the server expanded into other gamemodes (such as skyblock) or the gmod server, those were always deserted and failures. People join TF for the creative/freedom server. Attempting to diversify to different platforms instead of entirely focusing on and building upon the formula that works isn't a good strategy for long-term success. There's also the issue of additional gamemodes/games also requiring additional moderation and resources for maintenance of those platforms, which isn't viable long-term.

Reactions: erin
Object only because I don't want multiple different server owners running different games, and also we should have a solid foundation of our freedom server before anything or any other ideas are made.

Status
Not open for further replies.