Right to Repair

Telesphoreo

System Administrator
Forum Administrator
Executive
Developer
IGN
Telesphoreo

What are your thoughts on right to repair and the general trend towards loss of consumer rights? Do you think we'll ever have an advantage as consumers ever again?

sucks but in our current economic system companies have no reason to do anything other than for profit, so stuff like this will inevitably happen. unless the government steps in, this will continue indefinitely i fear

We are collectively losing our rights as consumers to do what we want with the products we pay for, and I believe this is a fucking awful trend that we should be fighting tooth and nail against by any means possible.

Right to repair encompasses more than just about being able to fix your own shit, it's about being able to take control of the product you invested in and bend it to your own will and use it however you please. You bought it, you own it. This by definition hurts the bottom line of every big company whose income now comes from making new overpriced products, who want you to pay thousands of dollars per year to get a new phone/computer even though your current one works just fine and sometimes gives you more control. So, what they do is that they make shit intentionally break after a certain period of time (sometimes even intentionally designing it to fail weeks or even days after the warranty that you paid even more for runs out!) so that the cost of getting the product repaired officially outweighs the cost of just getting a new one. If you try to get it done more cheaply by doing it yourself using cheaper but still high quality third party parts (@Alco_Rs11 once replaced the motherboard of his laptop which cost $100 to get the part himself and replace it manually, compared to the astronomical price of $1.3k through official channels), the retarded fucking firmware of device these days will intentionally brick parts under the guise of security even though it is clearly intended to discourage people trying to fix what they bought and own. If we do nothing to stop this shitty trend while we still can, we will send a very clear message to these big companies that we don't care and that they can tread on us all they want.

This general shift in anti-consumer attitudes that big tech companies have been adopting is part of what pushed me to develop a staunch conservative attitude with both hardware and software. I used a shitty budget phone for about 5 years before I was forced off of it primarily because the damn thing had a replaceable battery and it was a reliable phone that went through hell and back, even if it was an outdated and inefficient piece of shit. Modern laptops are practically impossible to feasibly repair since you have to disassemble the whole damn thing just to replace the drive or RAM whereas before you could just remove a few screws to take a cover off and then be able to access the part directly. The quality control in modern versions of Windows have fucking leaped off a cliff and now you can't even have basic things like a black title bar, the ability to not have your computer reboot and possibly brick itself because of an update, an element of actual fucking privacy, or god forbid you want to use something that isn't Microsoft Edge.

TL;DR - I massively support right to repair and consumer rights in the face of shifting anti-consumer attitudes and you should to. When shit breaks, we should be allowed to fix it since we bought it and therefore own it.

Reactions: Alco_Rs11