TotalFreedom: Rebooted Server Closure

TotalFreedom: Rebooted will be closing the in-game Minecraft server on Sunday, June 23rd, 2024. Please save anything you would like to save as a schematic in game, as schematics will be available for download.

There are no plans to shut down the forum. The Discord server will remain up, but no new members will be allowed to join.

Reactions: Taah
I didn't leave the discord, someone either kicked me or banned me, but I don't have any invite and therefore can't join back.

That said, however, I will be attempting to launch another TF:R:R. My reasoning for this is primarily because I've always loved the server and the community, and while there are certain bad people and I understand why you'd shut this down, I've been admin in significantly worse communities where they were practically cancer, yet have managed to moderate them (although left because I personally began to feel uninterested in them, but in terms of mentally affecting me - not really).

The main thing you have to remember when building a server, is it has to adapt to the community. If it can't adapt, it will fail. If the community itself has bad actors, you will have to moderate it, and find ways to do that.

The server also has to not feel like a chore, because once that happens - there is no more fun. In its current state (or, well, I guess past state, now that it's shutting down), TotalFreedom is basically a creative server, and a lot of these servers have died out, because there isn't really a goal for people, you basically just do whatever. The Minecraft community fundamentally has changed - before, people were much more likely to play creative servers. Now, a significant portion of the Minecraft multiplayer playerbase will play on servers like Hypixel, which are practically monopolies, and so many servers have died out, which had a similar premise - even Mineplex, Hypixel's main competitor.

TotalFreedom was one of the first Minecraft multiplayer servers I have ever joined, and it remains a big reason for why I'm still playing the game and have been for over a decade now. There are very few servers like TotalFreedom anymore, and it honestly sucks. I've suggested many things to TotalFreedom, but a very small amount of them ever got added or went into consideration. Most of the reasoning for declining these suggestions was "this isn't the soul of totalfreedom" and etc., but the problem is - the server had to adapt to the community. People quickly begin losing interest when their suggestions aren't implemented, and when their actual idea of fun changes, the server doesn't adapt.

I think it is reasonable to assume that one of the biggest reasons for TotalFreedom's downfall is the lack of any funding. Everyone is a volunteer, and because of this, people have to spend significant portions of their time working on the server, while getting nothing from it. Something I suggested earlier was OpenCollective, where people could donate money directly to TotalFreedom, and this could be used for hosting, but it isn't exactly a sustainable model. What would be slightly more sustainable is some form of ranks, and while I understand this goes against the core of TotalFreedom, these ranks would really only give you certain features that are more expensive to run - I remember things like per-user-worlds being suggested. The ranks wouldn't be insanely expensive, maybe just one rank that would grant you this type of stuff (something like 5$/mo or possibly less, depending on how expensive it is to run), which would make the server more sustainable, and players would have a way to fund it.

In terms of goal for the player, I feel like it would be interesting if there was more to do on the server. One of the things I suggested was Events, but they barely got implemented, and most events were either very unmanaged and felt very hacky, or it's just that there weren't many of them. What I meant was mostly custom games that people could join, I'm working on an Events plugin for player-hosted events, and I've actually already made a few custom games that are pretty fun. If you ever managed to somehow get invited to one of my private servers, you already got to see SlimeWars (although this game was initially implemented with command blocks). It is similar to spleef, but it uses slime blocks for the platforms. Upon spawning in one of the 8 platforms and waiting for the timer to count down, you can run to the center, where there are 10 double chests. You can get slime blocks as fast as possible, and after adventure mode gets turned off, start to get the players to the last water platform, where they die. You can use the blocks to your advantage to parkour around holes, block the other player - it's your imagination. The game is fairly simple, but many people have tested it so far, and it's an absolute blast. Oh, and being able to hit the other players is fully intentional.

There's also some games I recreated, like the classic Sumo duel game, where you have to punch the other player off the map. I've actually been interested in possibly making some framework for easily creating games like this, where players could write the entire game in something like a .mcfunction file, and have the entire map simply spawn in this way. It wouldn't require worlds being stored, as they can be deleted, if the game is not being played, and it would allow for the games to be more dynamic. These scripts may be possible to store in pastebin (or something similar), and load them from there.

I always miss the old days of TotalFreedom, where people used to always duel with OP items and there were entire arenas for this type of stuff, but now that Mojang has mostly killed off OP items, there isn't much to do on the server anymore. It's basically just a creative server. I've seen the insane stuff that people can build, and honestly, I have always felt like TotalFreedom simply never enabled these people to make something more interesting, like a game, which everyone can play.

TotalFreedom lost the freedom it once had, and I miss it.
I would pay you $100 to have you not make a new server.

I didn't leave the discord, someone either kicked me or banned me, but I don't have any invite and therefore can't join back.

That said, however, I will be attempting to launch another TF:R:R. My reasoning for this is primarily because I've always loved the server and the community, and while there are certain bad people and I understand why you'd shut this down, I've been admin in significantly worse communities where they were practically cancer, yet have managed to moderate them (although left because I personally began to feel uninterested in them, but in terms of mentally affecting me - not really).

The main thing you have to remember when building a server, is it has to adapt to the community. If it can't adapt, it will fail. If the community itself has bad actors, you will have to moderate it, and find ways to do that.

The server also has to not feel like a chore, because once that happens - there is no more fun. In its current state (or, well, I guess past state, now that it's shutting down), TotalFreedom is basically a creative server, and a lot of these servers have died out, because there isn't really a goal for people, you basically just do whatever. The Minecraft community fundamentally has changed - before, people were much more likely to play creative servers. Now, a significant portion of the Minecraft multiplayer playerbase will play on servers like Hypixel, which are practically monopolies, and so many servers have died out, which had a similar premise - even Mineplex, Hypixel's main competitor.

TotalFreedom was one of the first Minecraft multiplayer servers I have ever joined, and it remains a big reason for why I'm still playing the game and have been for over a decade now. There are very few servers like TotalFreedom anymore, and it honestly sucks. I've suggested many things to TotalFreedom, but a very small amount of them ever got added or went into consideration. Most of the reasoning for declining these suggestions was "this isn't the soul of totalfreedom" and etc., but the problem is - the server had to adapt to the community. People quickly begin losing interest when their suggestions aren't implemented, and when their actual idea of fun changes, the server doesn't adapt.

I think it is reasonable to assume that one of the biggest reasons for TotalFreedom's downfall is the lack of any funding. Everyone is a volunteer, and because of this, people have to spend significant portions of their time working on the server, while getting nothing from it. Something I suggested earlier was OpenCollective, where people could donate money directly to TotalFreedom, and this could be used for hosting, but it isn't exactly a sustainable model. What would be slightly more sustainable is some form of ranks, and while I understand this goes against the core of TotalFreedom, these ranks would really only give you certain features that are more expensive to run - I remember things like per-user-worlds being suggested. The ranks wouldn't be insanely expensive, maybe just one rank that would grant you this type of stuff (something like 5$/mo or possibly less, depending on how expensive it is to run), which would make the server more sustainable, and players would have a way to fund it.

In terms of goal for the player, I feel like it would be interesting if there was more to do on the server. One of the things I suggested was Events, but they barely got implemented, and most events were either very unmanaged and felt very hacky, or it's just that there weren't many of them. What I meant was mostly custom games that people could join, I'm working on an Events plugin for player-hosted events, and I've actually already made a few custom games that are pretty fun. If you ever managed to somehow get invited to one of my private servers, you already got to see SlimeWars (although this game was initially implemented with command blocks). It is similar to spleef, but it uses slime blocks for the platforms. Upon spawning in one of the 8 platforms and waiting for the timer to count down, you can run to the center, where there are 10 double chests. You can get slime blocks as fast as possible, and after adventure mode gets turned off, start to get the players to the last water platform, where they die. You can use the blocks to your advantage to parkour around holes, block the other player - it's your imagination. The game is fairly simple, but many people have tested it so far, and it's an absolute blast. Oh, and being able to hit the other players is fully intentional.

There's also some games I recreated, like the classic Sumo duel game, where you have to punch the other player off the map. I've actually been interested in possibly making some framework for easily creating games like this, where players could write the entire game in something like a .mcfunction file, and have the entire map simply spawn in this way. It wouldn't require worlds being stored, as they can be deleted, if the game is not being played, and it would allow for the games to be more dynamic. These scripts may be possible to store in pastebin (or something similar), and load them from there.

I always miss the old days of TotalFreedom, where people used to always duel with OP items and there were entire arenas for this type of stuff, but now that Mojang has mostly killed off OP items, there isn't much to do on the server anymore. It's basically just a creative server. I've seen the insane stuff that people can build, and honestly, I have always felt like TotalFreedom simply never enabled these people to make something more interesting, like a game, which everyone can play.

Red, I can't let go of a 13 year old server that I practically stole my personality from either. But the way you're writing this is like it's some sort of communist manifesto.

Your idea of a P2W server is just fundmentally flawed from every side possible. You're talking about how you know the community so well but you're writing this like you're a completely new player who has no idea what players want.

You've completely lost the entire thing that makes TotalFreedom..well, TotalFreedom. You've abandoned the whole "you log on, build, play, and enjoy". Not "you log on, pay 5 dollars, now build then play then maybe enjoy".

This community isn't one you want to run, and I've understood that from my 15 minutes of fame from owning RestoredFreedom. People are absolutely disgusting. They will do anything to take you and your server down. They will not let go, no matter what.

TotalFreedom isn't fixable with an addition of new features, you need a whole new playerbase, a whole new mindset and a whole new expectation for players. You're simply not giving them freedom. This is just your idea of another server.

Let the server die. It's lived for 13 years and I can hardly believe that either. TF simply cannot be saved by some new funding or some new features, it needs people who will dedicate every minute, second and hour of their lives to managing the server one by one and not leave sight of it.

Red, I get your point of view. "I'll dedicate everything to bring back my beloved server", but it's just both not a way to live and it's neither a way to bring back the server. You'll get a surge of players on the first day, but then the second you won't, then the day after you won't, then the day after that.

Here's my suggestion: make a new server. Study the community. Make something that just isn't TotalFreedom. You will never live to see the day to say "this was worth it". While it sounds utterly grim, it's simply reality.

Red, I can't let go of a 13 year old server that I practically stole my personality from either. But the way you're writing this is like it's some sort of communist manifesto.

Your idea of a P2W server is just fundmentally flawed from every side possible. You're talking about how you know the community so well but you're writing this like you're a completely new player who has no idea what players want.

You've completely lost the entire thing that makes TotalFreedom..well, TotalFreedom. You've abandoned the whole "you log on, build, play, and enjoy". Not "you log on, pay 5 dollars, now build then play then maybe enjoy".

This community isn't one you want to run, and I've understood that from my 15 minutes of fame from owning RestoredFreedom. People are absolutely disgusting. They will do anything to take you and your server down. They will not let go, no matter what.

TotalFreedom isn't fixable with an addition of new features, you need a whole new playerbase, a whole new mindset and a whole new expectation for players. You're simply not giving them freedom. This is just your idea of another server.

Let the server die. It's lived for 13 years and I can hardly believe that either. TF simply cannot be saved by some new funding or some new features, it needs people who will dedicate every minute, second and hour of their lives to managing the server one by one and not leave sight of it.

Red, I get your point of view. "I'll dedicate everything to bring back my beloved server", but it's just both not a way to live and it's neither a way to bring back the server. You'll get a surge of players on the first day, but then the second you won't, then the day after you won't, then the day after that.

Here's my suggestion: make a new server. Study the community. Make something that just isn't TotalFreedom. You will never live to see the day to say "this was worth it". While it sounds utterly grim, it's simply reality.
This guy knows what he's saying.

so basically what reds suggesting is a server where he is owner, where people provide him money and where he does shit unrelated to TF

is it just me or does that sound like someone whos opportunistic and wants to start a server, and is now using this as an excuse to plug what he wants to do?

The server hes proposing is legit the antithesis to TF. the sole thing that'll remain is the name 'totalfreedom'...

so basically what reds suggesting is a server where he is owner, where people provide him money and where he does shit unrelated to TF

is it just me or does that sound like someone whos opportunistic and wants to start a server, and is now using this as an excuse to plug what he wants to do?

The server hes proposing is legit the antithesis to TF. the sole thing that'll remain is the name 'totalfreedom'...
At this point he will probably make a prison server...

Why not just go to CreativeFun for this?

There's no fixing this community. This reboot exemplified that fact because it tried and ultimately, failed. You will have people who will try their hardest to destroy the community (or what's left of it). It'll probably be the same people who tried to do so here. They won't stop because they're sly, and manipulative and have nothing better to do. The community overall is a toxic cesspool and it'll be a strain on your mental health trying to keep this place from imploding requires an army because someone will find a way to try and break stuff. I know this because not only have I been in this community for around a decade, but during my stint as Ban Manager, I had to deal with everyone under the sun and their shit while they tried to find every loophole to invalidate valid bans, their drama and everything associated with it including harassment, death threats and even had failed doxing attempts done on me in the past. While I was able to hold out for a while, taking breaks for my own sanity there's only so much toxicity can take before you say "fuck it" and stop giving a shit.

You say we have to "adapt to keep the bad actors out." We did that. And we failed. What nobody realizes is the bad actors are incredibly clever and some create entirely new identities and do elaborate things just to try and reintegrate into the community. Often they're convincing enough as we've had in the past (e.g Khione/Shyan) and they only get discovered when shit blows up in their face and that may take quite a while and by then they're already gaining influence. Moderating this community is like playing a game of whack-a-mole. You won't ever have a day where shit is eventless and people will find ways to skirt the rules and their punishments whether it's through mind-games, loopholes, manipulation or "technicalities".

I say all this from all my years of experience. This community is not one you want to inherit.

As for your comment on making a paid rank, they aren't sustainable and locking features being a paywall is going to alienate the player base even further. Why bother calling it "TotalFreedom" if you're going to paywall features? If you want to make a new server, for one, don't call it TotalFreedom and make sure you understand what the community wants and paywalling features is a bad move.

While it is incredibly sad to see the server go (likely for good this time), it's for the better. There is no fixing the community and its best everyone moves on because this community is not salvageable and it's time to finally put it to rest.

Last edited:
Honestly, for me, yes. It's extra experience nonetheless, and I've always wanted to build something like this. TF just kept me from doing it, because I still thought "okay maybe they'll change up some stuff and it'll finally revive itself for once", but it kinda never did, which I'm really upset about. So, that's why I'll be attempting to do it differently this time, and I hope it works out. If it doesn't, well, I'm not losing - as I will learn things from this experience either way.
I'm not gonna lie -- I was in your place exactly when TF shut down after Ryan and I thought with the experience I had, I could run it better than before with the backing of Packs and the other executives. Unfortunately, the only thing we were able to improve is our development workflows and our community interaction imo. We had a more solid foundation and nobody really disliked our infrastructures or anything, but truth be told we just don't have the time because the community drains people. Maintaining the shit load of things because Minecraft is a haven for bugs is draining. Maintaining features is draining. Everyone is a volunteer position, they don't have motivation other than pure initial interest and after that it's just whatever happens happens. Developers will get less interested. I thought I could save TF, and I could not. Let it die, please. We won't allow more posts regarding a new server and will be moderating and removing anything involving it, so I apologize in advance.

Despite your response, it doesn't change anything about my original message. Trying to profit off of this is disgusting lmao. It was never about the money for me. Paying me to run TF wouldn't change anything. I've banned you from replying to this thread and any further talks about you trying to do this on the forum or Discord will be moderated.

Reactions: brc and Taah
Also for those of you bashing Red saying he's the last one you guys want running TF - you're not safe from moderation either. There's no reason to hate on a person for being enthusiastic because the people who ran TF:R were in the same thought process when we started it, of course without the idea of donations, it's just purely being naive. The people who are replying to him like so are just benefitting my points to how the community is toxic, so I recommend to stop.

I apologize if my wording in this is a bit awkward or short, but I'm not at my computer right now.

Here is advice from someone who spent a massive amount of time, attention, and resources to keep TF going. The Minecraft server shouldn't be publicly rebooted again. It should be put to rest.

It has strayed so far from what it once was during its golden age and even if you wanted to go back to what the server once was back in those days, historically attempts to reboot TotalFreedom circa 2015 have failed to gain the traction it had at the time, likely because the multiplayer landscape for Minecraft as a whole has changed so drastically in the years since then.

The concept of a freedom server is great, but maintaining such a server is also an uphill battle. While I'm sure that someone out there would have the dedication and patience to run a place like this, it's already been mentioned by everyone else in the thread that a community like this (where you have people terminally online enough to run months-long psy-op campaigns to undermine it) just isn't worth the extensive maintenance work.

For those who want to publicly reboot the Minecraft server again and try to stay true to its founding goals despite all this, I will not support your decision but I wish you the best of luck. For those who aim to profit off TotalFreedom (especially monetarily) in your umpteenth reboot by completely desecrating what made it so magical, beware the ides of march.

Reactions: meta04
Ring ring muthafuckas,

I had to make a last appearance to say goodbye to TF. 7 years, wow. How did time fly so fast 🤣 7 years of me causing mayhem and drama on and off, all for self entertainment. Never really wanted to see this place go, but I guess all good things have to come to an end.

Stay in touch, ask Video or someone for my discord if you want.

Ring ring muthafuckas,

I had to make a last appearance to say goodbye to TF. 7 years, wow. How did time fly so fast 🤣 7 years of me causing mayhem and drama on and off, all for self entertainment. Never really wanted to see this place go, but I guess all good things have to come to an end.

Stay in touch, ask Video or someone for my discord if you want.
nah