W2K - The Next Version of WNT

videogamesm12

Developer
Senior Admin
IGN
videogamesm12

icon.png W2K

With the Minecraft server's closure in June 2024, I suddenly had an unexpected amount of free time and resources on my hands. I decided to use this time to continue work on general utility mods that I had been maintaining for TF, which mostly consisted of WNT. However, I soon ran into a problem: its really inflexible codebase hugely depended on version-specific code to function. If I wanted to run the mod on more recent or even older versions of the game, I had to make breaking code changes for it to work on the versions I wanted it to run on and that came at a cost of compatibility. This sucked, and because I still had people running on older versions of the game but still wanted to add support for newer or even older versions of the game, I couldn't really do much.

So, I started from scratch and rewrote a lot of the foundational code in WNT to run without relying heavily on a particular version's codebase. I then ported some of the components of WNT to this new system and even took the opportunity to improve some of the features on the user side. The end result is W2K. It is still very much a work in progress, however my hope is for it to serve as an upgrade over both W95 and WNT in pretty much every way possible.

Despite being fairly far in development, it is not ready for the public yet as many features (both planned and in need of being backported) are still missing. In the meantime, here are some screenshots of what's cooking.

Crash detection Enhanced integrations for other mods Multi-version support 1723079430726.png

The project is currently private and closed source but this is only temporary. It will be open sourced once the project is far enough along, polished, and documented.